Federation University Australia is a public, dual-sector university. Since the establishment of the School of Mines Ballarat (SMB) in 1870, Federation University Australia has emerged in multiple forms, and under multiple names, to educate generations of engineers, nurses, and teachers – and in more recent years, games designers, sports and exercise scientists, craft beer brewers, and other professional occupations inconceivable to the University’s founders in the late 19th century.
The University has campuses in Ballarat, Berwick, Brisbane, Gippsland and the Wimmera, in addition to partnership institutions in China, Malaysia, and India. We are a diverse community with over 24,000 domestic and international students and 110,000 alumni across Australia and the world. Students may achieve qualifications in TAFE programs in addition to university programs across the levels of undergraduate, postgraduate, higher degrees by research.
Federation University Strategic Direction 2021 To 2025
As Australia’s leading regional University:
- Delivering regionally and globally for job-ready graduates in a post-pandemic world
- Innovative and integrated lifelong learning – job skills and impactful research enabling people and communities to prosper.
- Expanded partnering with industry for educational delivery to better support in-work learning, new pathways and cross-disciplinary qualifications.
- A digital first, technology enabled approach.
- Leveraging our infrastructure and assets to create innovative, sustainable and vibrant regions.
Our Schools Include:
- School of Arts
- Federation Business School
- School of Education
- School of Health
- School of Science, Psychology and Sport
- School of Engineering, Information Technology and Physical Sciences
Federation University offers many courses through flexible delivery (mix of face to face and online) and flexible timetabling to support external student activities- work/sport/good balance.
Students can undertake programs across a wide range of study areas including:
- Humanities and social sciences
- Science and Mathematics
- Education and Early Childhood
- Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine
- Performing Arts
- Visual Arts
- Information Technology
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Sport, Outdoor and Physical Education
- TAFE – extensive programs
Research Partner of Choice in Victoria
Federation University has a strong track record in applied research in digital health and wellness, the environment and society, and virtual, digital and computational environments.
- Partnering with Agriculture Victoria, Bushfire Recovery Victoria, DJPR (mine stability and landscape rehabilitation) and the Latrobe Valley Authority.
- The Centre for eResearch and Digital Innovation (CeRDI) is a global leader in data interoperability and has developed many award-winning web-based spatial information and knowledge portals which provide public access to data sets that are often hidden from view.
- Health Innovation and Transformation Centre focused on improving the well-being of individuals and communities in regional and rural Australia. Capability in cardiovascular disease, mental health, aged care, workplace safety
- Hosting Australia’s largest regional Technology Park (Ballarat) employing over 2000 people, across 60 enterprises, contributing over $300M to regional GDP annually.
- Morwell Innovation Centre (new), focus on food and fibre, ICT, new energy and health. Hosting incubator and acceleration programs, delivering our new MBA, and integrated with Gippsland Tech School and TAFE Gippsland Expanding our research partnership with IBM – key training programs for IT and business. Real world internship opportunities for all students leading to the supply of highly skilled ICT graduates.
- Expanded research focus on telehealth in aged care, critical resilient infrastructure, flexible, agile and secure supply chains, hosting a Watson IoT Centre
Our University Rankings
We are delivering job-ready graduates, rated by employers as above national average for employability, foundation and adaptive skills (QILT, 2019).
Released in August 2020, the Good University Guide ratings reflect our strength in providing the highest quality teaching and support throughout a student’s education.
In addition, we achieved the highest five- star rating in learner engagement, learning resources and overall undergraduate experience, placing Federation in the top 20% of Australian universities in these categories.
These results build on the Excellence in Research Australia (ERA) ratings released in March, which saw the quality of research at Federation University rated as well above world standard for the first time in seven research areas.